WHAT TO CONSIDER BEFORE ADOPTING FROM CANOPOLIS?
If you are considering whether to adopt an animal from a shelter, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Shelter animates have already suffered through the painful experience of being abandoned and they need someone who is willing to commit to them for the rest of their lives.
- Any animal you adopt will need good nutrition, attention and occasional veterinary care. You may want to consider if you have the time to look after a pet and if your financial situation will allow you to properly attend to a pets needs over the course of his or her life.
- Canopolis residents enjoy a good quality of life, however there is no substitute for a good life in someone’s home with a loving family. If you can and are willing to provide a pet with a better life than that which he or she has in the shelter, we will happily give him or her up for adoption. We do not adopt out pets if they are going to be alone and chained up in the yard all day.
- Introducing a new pet into your household requires a certain amount of time during which the animal will need to adapt to his or her new environment. In addition, your new pet may have past traumas that could require you to seek professional help. Please ask yourself if you have the time, patience and means to help him or her through this process of adaptation.
- Canopolis requires a high level of commitment from the people who want to adopt an animal from our shelter.